Thursday, April 12, 2007

Lessons in HTML, 1

The Great American Novel

(I have a 'head' tag and a 'title' tag here, embedded, with closing tags, but Blogger doesn't seem to recognize them, and also insisted that I remove my 'html' opening and closing tags. Hm. And now Blogger is making me remove my 'head' and 'title' tags. Double Hm.)

The opening of The Great American Novel needs a great hook. I'm no hooker, but I've caught a fish or two in my time. So I go to my tackle box (you could say it lured me) and found a hook with allure.

(My 'body' tags are also unacceptable.)

Chapter One




The chapter begins beneath the horizontal line Horizontal lines are defined by the 'hr' opener followed by size designations. This one reads 'hr width=50% size=5' Closing the 'hr' seems to not be necessary.

This is the BODY, with 'h1' tags.




Here is an example of a heading, centered, with 'h3' tags.



The paragraph begins with a 'p' tag for paragraph and now the bold text ends because I closed the tag. If I want underlined text, I type a 'u' inside my tag and end it the usual way. I thought I had learned strikethrough strikethrough, but perhaps I was wrong. Ah, it looks as though I was right. Now. Blogger accepts an 'em' tag as an italics code, but the tutorial indicates that the letter 'i' should be a workable tag as well.



So what happens to my paragraph if I do not include the 'p' tag? Nothing at all?

No, the text is slightly different. I wonder what it means that Blogger won't accept my 'body' tags, but it seems to like the ones for underline, strikethrough, bold, and both tags for italics (they don't look different from one another just now) plus the headings, and the horizontal lines.

I read as far as how to change the size of the type, but haven't really grokked it yet.

This is a work in progress.